Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Oh, Indy!

Remember how Kate Capshaw's character, Willie Scott, was always saying, "Oh, Indy!" in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? Sometimes the delivery was dreamy, be-my-baby. But other times it was frustration.

I was a lemming this weekend and went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Throughout the movie, I kept hearing Kate Capshaw's frustrated, "Oh, Indy!" in my head. As in, "Oh, Indy, what were you thinking?"

Granted, Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg, and George Lucas will probably make a financial killing. But did any of them really believe this script was worthy of committing to film? I read the reviews and went with low expectations, but not this low. Yee-gads. Ridiculous, ridiculous flick.

I'm going to try to wipe it from my brain so it doesn't negate the positives of the earlier movies.

In other movie news, I'm sad about the passing of Sydney Pollack, who directed my all-time fave movie, Out of Africa (among many, many other great films.) Pollack also acted in a number of movies, usually playing the aloof best friend or adviser. He always had a look of wry amusement on his face, like he'd figured out the punch line to a great joke and was waiting for everyone else to catch up to him. Or perhaps he was simply entertained by life.

Whatever it was that amused him, the guy made fantastic movies. Think I'll pop in my Pollack-directed Tootsie DVD tonight to black out the mental images of Indy 4.

No comments: