Saturday, February 8, 2020

Oscar Predictions 2020




 The Oscars are here! If you haven’t seen many (or any) of this year’s films, you'll need a cheat sheet for your office pool or Sunday night Academy Awards party. I win my pool more often than not and it’s a rare year when I don’t finish in the top three. If you are staring at your ballot in confusion, copy mine. I won't tell.

Need a printable PDF of the 2020 Academy Award categories and nominees? Entertainment Weekly has one here, or you can use use this one from Variety.

Ready to start circling your winners? Here are my predictions:

Best Picture:
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
1917
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Parasite

There’s talk for The Irishman, but wow…did it feel long, which will cost the film votes. This is a contest between 1917, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood (both of which won Best Picture Golden Globes, in Drama and in Musical/Comedy respectively), and Parasite, which has swept the international awards and has earned raves worldwide. Though I haven’t yet seen Parasite—it’s on my must-see list—my personal pick between 1917 and Once Upon a Time would be 1917. I loved its depth of emotion and single-shot style, which made me feel like I was weaving through the trenches and left dangerously exposed in No Man’s Land right along with the main characters. But man…Hollywood loves to analyze and laugh at itself, and that’s Once Upon a Time…In Hollywood.

I’ve flip-flopped endlessly on this category. Since the Academy went to ten nominees in this category, it's tougher to predict the winner, and the statue hasn’t gone to a frontrunner as often as it has in the past (hello, Moonlight.) This year, the frontrunner is 1917. The spoiler would be Parasite. I’m going to take what shouldn’t be a risk, but feels like one given recent Academy history: 1917.

But I'll note: my husband picked Parasite.

Actor In A Leading Role
Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

This is a category jam-packed with talent, but it’s Joaquin Phoenix’s year.

Actor In A Supporting Role
Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
Al Pacino, The Irishman
Joe Pesci, The Irishman
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood

Loved, loved Brad Pitt in this. Give him the statue and expect a fun yet heartfelt speech. 

Trivia game answer of the night: Pitt is the only nominee in this category who doesn’t already have a statue in an acting category (though he does have one as a producer on 12 Years a Slave.)
 
Actress In A Leading Role
Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
Saorise Ronan, Little Women
Charlize Theron, Bombshell
Renée Zellweger, Judy

Last year, Vegas had Glenn Close as the heavy favorite, but Olivia Colman walked away with the man of gold (yes, I called it!) This year, I’m going with the favorite: Renée Zellweger. She became Judy Garland. If you feel like picking a spoiler, Scarlett Johannson is your best choice, but I wouldn’t.

Actress In A Supporting Role
Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit
Florence Pugh, Little Women
Margot Robbie, Bombshell

This is where I must mention that I desperately want to see Jojo Rabbit, but it isn’t playing near me. Every time I see a trailer, I laugh. It looks amazing and the reviews for Johansson’s performance are phenomenal. But this is a lock for Laura Dern. She’s swept all the earlier awards in this category.

Directing
Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
Todd Phillips, Joker
Sam Mendes, 1917
Quentin Tarantino. Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Bong Joon Ho, Parasite

This is a tough category. There’s a lot of love for Tarantino amongst Academy members and Parasite’s success has garnered a lot of attention for Bong Joon Ho’s work. But Mendes won the Directors’ Guild Award and the Golden Globe. I’m going with Mendes. If you’re in the mood to make a spoiler-ish pick, it’d be Bong Joon Ho.

Animated Feature Film
How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
Missing Link
Toy Story 4

Easy peasy.

Documentary Feature
American Factory
The Cave
The Edge of Democracy
For Sama
Honeyland

Friends recommended I see American Factory long before awards season, and I almost never hear raves for documentaries that soon after their release. American Factory is my pick.

Documentary Short Subject
In the Absence
Leaning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)
Life Overtakes Me
St. Louis Superman
Walk Run Cha-Cha

I’m picking this on the title alone, which is what I suspect a sizeable number of Academy voters do. If another title rocks your world, go with it.

Cinematography
Rodrigo Prieto, The Irishman
Lawrence Sher, Joker
Jarin Blaschke, The Lighthouse
Roger Deakins, 1917
Robert Richardson, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood

1917’s cinematography brought viewers right into wartime France’s bombed out villages and smoky, muddy trenches. It made this film powerful and memorable. I’m picking Deakins.

Costume Design
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood

Hollywood loves to give this award to a period piece like Little Women. While I adore the look of Jojo Rabbit, I’m making a safety pick here.

Film Editing
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Parasite

This is a category I consider too close to call. Since I have to, I’m picking Parasite. The other strong possibility: Ford v Ferrari.

International Feature Film/Foreign Language Film
Corpus Christi, Poland
Honeyland, North Macedonia
Les Miséables, France
Pain and Glory, Spain
Parasite, South Korea

Lock.

Music, Original Score
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
1917
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I’m partial to Little Women’s Alexandre Desplat, whose original score for Girl With a Pearl Earring is in heavy rotation on my playlist of writing background music. However, Iceland’s Hildur Gudnadóttir won the Golden Globe, BAFTA, and Critics’ Choice for her work on Joker. She’s my pick.

Music, Original Song
“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away,” Toy Story 4
“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again,” Rocketman
“I’m Standing With You,” Breakthrough
“Into the Unknown,” Frozen II
“Stand Up,” Harriet

While “Into the Unknown” has a good shot, I’m betting Elton John and Bernie Taupin’s name recognition take this one home.

Production Design
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
1917
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Parasite

This is a tough call between World War I and 1969 Hollywood. In this category, I’m betting on the nostalgic recreation of Hollywood, which managed to evoke both its grit and its glamour.

Visual Effects
Avengers: Endgame
The Irishman
The Lion King
1917
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I think this will be a tight race between The Irishman, with its reverse aging technology, and 1917. I’m going WWI.

Makeup and Hairstyling
Bombshell
Joker
Judy
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
1917

Charlize Theron, Margot Robbie, and Nicole Kidman inhabited their roles in part due to the excellent work of the makeup and hairstyling teams on Bombshell. It’s my choice here.

Sound Editing
Ford v Ferrari
Joker
1917
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Sound Mixing
Ad Astra
Ford v Ferrari
Joker
1917
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood

Action movies like Fury Road, which won six Academy Awards including statues for visual effects and production design, make me think that Ford v Ferrari has a serious shot here. Revving engines, quick cuts, and squealing tires will do that. But I’m going for the bombs and earth-shaking trench collapses of 1917. Sound has the power to elicit emotion, and in 1917 it was wildly effective.

Writing, Adapted Screenplay
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
The Two Popes

Greta Gerwig is a favorite for her unique and highly respected interpretation of Little Women, but Hollywood (and writers) love to reward the offbeat. This year, that’s Jojo Rabbit, a wild satire of Hitler youth.

Writing, Original Screenplay
Knives Out
Marriage Story
1917
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Parasite

I’ve raved to friends about how much I love the screenplay for Knives Out. It’s a fabulous, entertaining movie (really, go see it.) But sadly, it won't win. Hollywood pundits argue that the statue should go to Quentin Tarantino for Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood. I’m going with Parasite, which picked up the BAFTA.

Short Film, Animated
Dcera (Daughter)
Hair Love
Kitbull
Memorable
Sister

Short Film, Live Action
Brotherhood
Nefta Football Club
The Neighbors’ Window
Saria
A Sister

I’m going on gut instinct and brief glimpses with these picks. I’m more confident in Hair Love than in my choice of The Neighbors’ Window, though. Oddsmakers keep shifting between The Neighbors’ Window and Brotherhood. Frankly, I like the concept of Nefta Football Club, a French film that’s more lighthearted than the rest of the pack, but lighthearted rarely wins Oscar in this category.

Aside from the winners, I predict that: 1) Idina Menzel will bring down the house with her Original Song performance; 2) viewers will be shocked—shocked!—that Renée Zellweger sounds Texan; and 3) the In Memoriam presentation will get a massive cheer for Kirk Douglas, who passed away earlier this week at the age of 103. He more than earned one.

Now it’s your turn. What are your predictions? Which movies have you seen and enjoyed? Any that were nominated that made you shake your head? Comment away!

No comments: