Thursday, June 24, 2010

LGBT Books for Teens

Today there's a fantastic article on MSNBC.com about a high school sophomore who sought out books told from the viewpoint of teens with whom he could identify--teens who, like him, are gay. It also notes how difficult it was for him to find these titles.

If you, a friend, or a librarian are looking for some great reads, start with some of the books mentioned in the article (I'm a huge fan of Julie Anne Peters and Brent Hartinger, myself!)

Ever since Royally Jacked was published--the first in a series of three comedic books in which the teenaged main character learns her mom is gay, struggles with it, accepts it, and then embraces it--I've gotten tons of requests from teens asking for other titles which feature gay characters, or about characters who learn a close friend or relative is gay. Some requests I get ask about comedies, some readers are looking for more serious reads, but either way, I think the titles and authors mentioned in the article are a great place to start.

What discoveries have you made? Any books about or featuring LGBT characters you'd recommend? Insightful, funny, romantic, scary, doesn't matter--just toss out your suggestions!

1 comment:

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hi Niki,
I'm very excited to know about Royally Jacked - I'll add it to my lists. And in fact, I have over 200 books featuring GLBTQ Teen characters and themes at my blog (I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?), including graphic novels and books with GLBTQ parents and caretakers - there's even a fantasy bookshelf, which I love!
Thanks for spreading the word about how important it is for teens to find books with GLBTQ characters in them.
Namaste,
Lee