Sunday, March 7, 2010

Signs of Spring

Nope, it's not the Groundhog. It's Oscar Day! Had to poke my head out of my hidey-hole (aka, my office, where I've been working my tail off for the last month) to see tonight's broadcast, with the ever-hilarious Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin, and to toss out my predictions.

Will I win my bragging-rights-only Academy Awards pool this year? You tell me.

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'nique
Best Animated Feature Film: Up
Best Foreign Film: The White Ribbon (Germany)
Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino, Inglorious Basterds
Best Adapted Screenplay: Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner, Up In The Air
Best Documentary Feature: The Cove
Best Original Score: Up
Best Original Song: The Weary Kind (from Crazy Heart)
Best Film Editing: The Hurt Locker
Best Cinematography: Inglorious Basterds (and yes, I know this is a rebellious pick, as it's likely to be Avatar)
Best Costume Design: The Young Victoria


This year's pool ballot was taken from Moviefone's downloadable version, which only had sixteen categories, so I can't score points with Makeup or Sound Editing (I think Moviefone ballot might've been selected intentionally to throw me off my game.) If those categories had been included, I'd have picked The Young Victoria for makeup (though Star Trek has a good shot) and Avatar for all things sound.

Finally, the most important categories of all: Best dressed man-Robert Downey Jr, assuming he attends. Best dressed woman-Sandra Bullock.

What do you think?

No comments: