Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cheerleaders in Baseball

So I haven't blogged since the Red Sox lost to the Devil Rays--okay, okay, the RAYS, which I think is a silly name change--in the ALCS championship. Mostly because I had knee surgery last week (more on that later), which I think is a valid excuse. In the meantime, I've gotten a few e-mails asking me who I support in the World Series, or if I'm even watching.

I am watching. And I'm cheering for the Phillies. Not that I'm a Phillies fan or a Rays hater, it's simply that I have an aversion to the whole concept of cheerleaders in baseball, and the Rays have cheerleaders. If you watch the Rays' games, you'll see their cheerleaders dancing on top of the dugout between innings or when the Rays get a home run.

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? I would NOT want to pay for primo, behind-the-dugout seats only to have to watch the game by constantly shifting in my seat to see around someone's knee socks.

Just as bad: Check out the Marlins' cheerleaders:


And worse, on the field here:


WHY? Who came up with this?? Is it a Florida phenomenon? If you're a Marlins or Rays fan, what do you think? Are you more likely to buy a ticket to the game if there are cheerleaders? I really want to know if I'm the only one who's anti-baseball cheerleader. (Not anti-cheerleader, just anti-cheerleaders-in-baseball. There IS a difference.)

As to that knee surgery: this was an arthoscopic surgery to fix a torn meniscus. As much as I'd love to blame it on the marathon (therefore making me look like I toughed out 26.2 miles through injury), it wasn't marathon-related. I've had knee problems since I tore my ACL playing softball while I was in law school. This is knee surgery #4 for me (three arthroscopic surgeries plus the ACL repair, which thankfully turned out better than Tom Brady's ACL surgery has so far.) And this time, I don't even know how I injured myself. However, I am probably paying for a very talented and kind orthopedic surgeon's children to go to college, so all is not lost!

3 comments:

30 SOMETHING AND HELLO KITTY said...

I AGREE 100% ON THIS ISSUE AND IT ANGERS ME HOW THEY HAVE TAKEN A GREAT PASTIME AND CLASS AND TURNED IT INTO A SPECTICAL. NOW IM A GIRL AND PROBABLY EXPECTED TO SAY THIS BUT HONESTLY ITS NOT NECESSARY TO HAVE CHEERLEADERS IN BASEBALL. PEOPLE DO NOT NEED THEM TO GET INTO THE GAME AND THE GAME DOES FINE WITHOUT IT.


http://ladyyankee.mlblogs.com/

Anonymous said...

I think they are fun! Before we would go to games and interns would throw out t-shirts and other novelty items. I don't see a problem with having cute girls do it instead. I agree baseball is just fine without them, for the real fans. But for the casual fan, I think it is an added incentive to get to take pictures and interact with the cheerleaders.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on this issue. As a fan, I am actually offended. The last thing I want to have to put up with when I've paid good money to go to a game with my family is to have scantily clad bimbos in my view. Baseball as both a sport and as a family activity is losing its credibility by stooping so low as to use sex to sell tickets to a certain type of guy. I know that by hiring cheerleaders the MLB will drastically cut its female base down. What a shame.