Friday, September 28, 2007

Eleven

When I talk baseball, it's usually about the Boston Red Sox. It's natural, since I live in Boston and have season tickets (they're split with friends, though, or I'd be broke.) Plus, there's always plenty to write about the Sox. But my National League team is the Colorado Rockies. I can't watch them on television here in Boston (grrrrrr) but every night for the last month, while I've been typing away on the novella I have due on Sept. 30, I've had the ESPN live baseball scoreboard running in the background, letting me keep track of how my Rockies are doing. I've been cheering each run scored, hoping against hope that they'd stay above .500.

Now, not only are they going to finish the season well above .500, they just won their eleventh game in a row and are just-this-close to grabbing a spot in the playoffs. I'll be watching their remaining games closely...if they sweep the Diamondbacks, they'll either clinch a postseason berth or will have to play a tiebreaking game. I predict their win streak goes from eleven to fourteen, but even if it doesn't, I've loved watching them this summer. They've beaten preseason predictions (Google the words "national league 2007 preview" -- without the quotes -- and you'll see what I mean), and they and continue to ignore naysayers to play good, solid, optimistic ball.

There's always one team to watch during the last week of the regular season. This year, I'm thrilled that it's the Colorado Rockies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I'm not obsessed with Baseball, because if I were, I'd probably boycott your books from now on. I live in St. Louis, and people here are still a little sore about the Sox winning the series rather than us. We were so close, but that's okay, we won last year and that's all that matters.... :)

Nicole Burnham said...

They were fabulous last year! (David Eckstein ROCKED that series.)

And FWIW, I used to live in St. Louis and made it to several Cards games. They're a fun team to watch.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's awesome that you used to live here! I've been to a couple Cards games also, but when I'm there, I read and eat pretzels. Like I said, I have no clue what is going on.