Monday, September 22, 2008

26.2

Last month, I blogged about the Jimmy Fund Walk. It's an annual event that raises millions of dollars to help support the research and care efforts of the Dana-Farber Cancer Center. I decided to tackle the 26.2 mile route, which follows the Boston Marathon course. Yesterday was the big event, and I'm thrilled to report that I made it! (I would do a happy dance, but I imagine it'd hurt.) It took me 6 hours and 13 minutes, including the porta-potty stop (ewww.) It sounds slow compared to Olympic runners, but was a decent showing for a walker. (Yay, me!)

The greatest news of all is that there were just over 8,000 walkers. That's a LOT of money to help fight all types of cancer. I hope that--no matter where you live--you consider participating in this event next year. If you're in the Northeastern U.S., you can walk any of four routes: 26.2 miles, 13.1 miles, 5 miles, or 3 miles. If you're not in the area, you can be a virtual walker (check out the official Jimmy Fund Walk website to learn more.)

In the meantime, I'm still collecting donations for this year. If you're interested, even $5 helps. It all goes to helping vital research so that we can see cancer conquered. Check out my personal Jimmy Fund donation page to make a contribution. You can do it to honor a loved one, in support of someone who's currently fighting cancer, or just because. Huge thanks in advance!

No comments: